What is the SECC?
The State Employee Charitable Campaign is an annual workplace giving and fundraising initiative authorized by the Texas Legislature.
Campaigns are run by state employees at the agencies and institutions of higher education where they work. The campaign accepts donations in cash, by check, and by monthly payroll deduction. Charities in the campaign are vetted; they must be 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations who provide direct or indirect health and human services and who spend no more than 25 percent of funds raised on administrative costs. There are over 400 eligible charities in the 2016 campaign, and over 25 of them provide services in Denton County.
UNT's campaign goal this year is to surpass last year's achievements of $176,300 in pledges and a participation rate of 28.8%. Anyone can contribute, including students and student workers … but only salaried employees may opt for payroll deduction. The minimum donation is $2.
The campaign provides a convenient way for UNT employees to give to many of their favorite charitable organizations. The campaign runs October 1-31 and includes many fun events.
Who Is Involved?
UNT's 2016 SECC Campaign is headed by a committee of faculty and staff who coordinate efforts, promote awareness, and contribute to the success of the initiative. The 2016 members are:
- Neal Brand, Faculty Co-Chair (CAS - Department of Mathematics)
- Cheryl McQueen, Staff Co-Chair (College of Business)
- Rhonda Acker (Administration - Enrollment)
- Jack Becker (COB - Department of Information Technology & Decision Sciences)
- Amber Bryant (CLEAR)
- Hillary Castillo (PACS - Department of Disability and Addiction Rehabilitation)
- Denise Catalano (PACS - Department of Disability and Addiction Rehabilitation)
- Coby Condrey (Libraries)
- Ruby Raines (Administration - Office of the President)
The most important person to be involved, of course, is YOU.
How to Give:
- Identify your favorite charity, or charities, for your contribution. You may consult a directory of charities covering statewide and Denton-area organizations, or a searchable database of all participating charities throughout the state. Write the six digit charity code(s) on the authorization form.
- Choose an amount and a method for making your gift. You may donate cash or check, or elect to give through payroll deduction. The minimum gift is $2. Make checks payable to SECC.
- Complete the authorization form. If you choose to have your contribution deducted from your payroll, please use your employee ID instead of your social security number. Remember to provide your identifying information and your signature.
- Send or deliver the authorization form to SECC: Student Accounting, ESSC. Place the authorization form in the provided envelope, include your check or cash if appropriate, and give it to your departmental coordinator or place it in campus mail. Please do not send cash through campus mail; cash must be personally delivered to a departmental coordinator or to Student Accounting.
Help us help people all over the world with your donations.
2015 Campaign Results
|University of North Texas (Denton)||27.78%||$141,842.09|
|UNT System (ITSS & BSC in Denton)||39.29%||$34,458.88|
Did you know?
- The SECC raised more than $8.4 million for charitable organizations in 2015.
- With the administrative cost overhead capped at 25 percent or less for participating charities, more of your donation gets to the causes you support than in almost any similar fundraising activity.
- Give what you feel is appropriate for you and your budget — any gift, no matter the size, will help improve the quality of life in communities locally, across the country and around the world. Your gift is both tax deductible and confidential.
- Learn about what your gift will provide and about the benefits of payroll deduction.